Android tablets are built on an open platform, unlike the iPad with its proprietary iOS, providing the opportunity for customization. One way that customization is possible is by enhancing security and reliability features. In fact, the security on an Android tablet can surpass the security on an iPad and other similar devices.
For semi-custom and custom equipment, the Android tablet has become increasingly popular. It is commonly used for business, industrial, military, and medical applications.
Examples of Customizable Security Features
SECO USA can customize a tablet’s security and reliability features to meet difficult requirements, such as:
- HIPPA regulations for use in medical applications
- Credit card privacy for point-of-sale (POS) devices
- Access control to prevent damage of infrastructure in industrial settings
- Secrecy and redundancy for military applications
- Ruggedness that keeps tablets in service and away from repair depots
The standard Android operating system has several known vulnerabilities. While some of these have been resolved, these updates don’t often get distributed to the end users by the tablet manufacturers. Often, tablets deployed for business, medical, industrial, and government use require feature lockdown, as well as the enforcement of security measures.
- Encryption – With encryption, data become unreadable. A PIN, password, or swipe pattern on the lock screen is used to make the data understandable. Without knowing the encryption PIN, password, or pattern, data are less vulnerable.
- Authentication – Authentication is an additional element designed to protect the Android tablet. By enabling two-factor authentication or biometric authentication, the tablet, as well as the data, becomes more secure.
- Privacy and Network Connection – Customized security features provide more privacy and a safer network connection. Customization can enhance privacy by limiting the tablet’s ability to connect only to known “friendly” network connections.
- Physical Tamper Detection – In mission-critical applications where access to Android tablet internals may compromise security, tamper detection methods can be implemented allowing for the data on the tablet to be erased if physical attempts are detected.
- Configuration Lock-Down – Consumer-grade tablets are designed for general purpose use. This allows the user to install and run numerous applications. In comparison, Android tablets used for business and government applications typically require just one or perhaps a few predetermined apps for operation. To avoid unintended use, these tablets are usually booted into “kiosk mode.” Using customized safety features, client information is better protected.
Remote Updates – While choosing remote updates through Google’s Play store is less risky than other sources, concerns over malware continue. Because no coding is required to bind Android apps with “malicious” programs, malware has become more prominent than ever before. UpdateSmart™ allows our customers to control the update process and only allow trusted software updates to reach the custom tablet.
Regardless of what your security concerns are relating to an Android tablet, SECO USA has the experience and expertise to improve its security through customization. We design custom Android tablets for vendors of industrial, medical, and military devices.
The Hydra-F6 tablet, which was designed completely in-house, is an excellent starting point to meet the exact specifications for these applications. Utilizing a modified COTS approach, SECO USA’s custom tablet starts with a known and proven design that significantly reduces development time and cost.
Key Areas of Customization of the Hydra-F6 Rugged Tablet
- Private Labeling – This includes your company name and logo while providing the preferred enclosure look and feel.
- Connectors – Customization with specific connectors allows the docking and connection of external devices on an as-needed basis.
- Peripheral Circuitry – Peripheral circuitry is integrated, including RS-232, Ethernet, NFC, fingerprint readers, radios, and other serial connections.
- Batteries – The tablet’s batteries are optimized to application run-time and peripheral set.
- Ruggedness – The Hydra-F6 was designed to meet IP-67 requirements. It has also been tested for drops and screen impact. A custom over mold or special materials can be used to increase the ruggedness if necessary.
- Certification – Most off the shelf tablets are not certified for medical, military, or industrial use. A custom tablet can be tested and certified to the specific criteria demanded by the application and use case.
SECO USA can design a custom tablet and take it through regulatory certification testing. This includes FCC, UL, CE, IC, cellular/PTCRB, MIL-SPEC and more. From there, a turnkey solution is manufactured. For a secure custom tablet solution, SECO USA offers SecuritySmart™, ReliabilitySmart™, and UpdateSmart™ technologies. Ultimately, you end up with a completely controlled platform that lets you manage updates and security and monitor all your devices in the field.
Please contact SECO USA to discuss the precise specifications of the custom Android tablet that you need. With our process, you will get to market faster and more efficiently.